The issue of acceptance works on “wet” facades should be considered in detail. Assessment of the quality of work on insulation, plastering, and painting of facades does not begin after the contractor calls “Everything is ready! Take the job! “This work begins much earlier.
The content of the article
- Facade maintenance at a glance
- How is the overhaul of the facade going
- Technical supervision
- Who accepts the finished façade
Facade Maintenance at a Glance
During the operation of the building, under the influence of various weather conditions, even a high-quality and strong facade requires restoration work. Often the need for overhaul is obvious, but a commission is necessarily appointed, which determines the condition of the facade of the building and the degree of complexity of the work.
The facade is the face of the whole building! It must be protected and maintained promptly for a long and successful operation. Many building owners ignore façade problems such as salt streaks or cracks. They forget that it is their responsibility to “maintain” the façade. This means:
- Inspect facade structures on a planned basis during daylight hours in dry and warm weather.
- Examine the facade unscheduled after the discovery of defects or after bad weather.
- Carry out snow removal from roofing and facade structures.
- Flush the facade.
- Timely repair minor façade defects.
The presence of the listed defects indicates the need for overhaul:
- destruction of seams, which entails the appearance of stains and heat loss in the building;
- deformation of gutters and external pipes;
- destruction of the insulation layer;
- Damaged about 30% of the facade.
The facade needs to be repaired within 5 to 10 years. After this period, the building is included in the list of houses to be repaired and a passport is issued for it, which contains information about the materials used, technologies, and colors. Separately, I would like to say about the insulation of the facade – an appropriate examination is needed to prove its necessity.
Contractors are fighting for the right to install the facade on a competitive basis. The winner of this confrontation is carrying out a major overhaul of the facade using the technology, which we will talk about later.
How is the Overhaul of the Facade Going?
- Preparatory work
Preparation is a short introductory step to facilitate façade work. The contracting company removes all signs and posters, repairs electrical and other networks. Special attention should be paid to the repair of the roof, drainage system, loggias of balconies. Sculptures, bas-reliefs, and other architectural elements must be covered with paper or glassine.
You also need to ensure safety! This implies not only safety for others: passers-by and cars but also the safety of employees.
Flushing – cleaning the facade from natural, atmospheric, artificial, and other contaminants. This is a big topic that deserves a separate discussion. Let me draw your attention to several important points for cleaning facades before a major overhaul:
- Temperature for work is not lower than + 5 ° C.
- The facade is washed with special detergents.
- Each facade material and type of pollution has its technology and cleaning material.
- When using detergents, disposal of cleaning products must be provided.
- Thermal insulation and installation of the facade system
As mentioned earlier, the installation of the heat-insulating layer is mounted only after the examination. If it is proved that the floors allow heat loss, then there will be a heater!
About what the facade will be: hinged or plastered should be judged by the design and estimate documentation. Consider these 2 options for the development of events.
Works that need to be carried out for high-quality installation of insulation and plastering of the facade:
- It is necessary to test the strength of the base for the installation of the insulation.
- Removal of unstable finishing layers.
- Installation of the first row of insulation using telescopic fasteners.
- Installation of subsequent layers of insulation sprawling using telescopic fasteners.
- Insulation of abutments and openings.
- Arrangement of expansion and expansion joints.
- Application of the base reinforcing composition.
- Decorative plastering or painting work.
- Sealing transitions between insulated and non-insulated areas.
Works that need to be carried out for high-quality installation of insulation and hinged facade systems:
- Installation of brackets and guide profiles.
- Staggered thermal insulation device
- Installation of a vapour-waterproof film.
- Hanging the facing material on the guides with a gap of 40-60 mm.
Do you still remember the passport that I mentioned? So, he is key in quality control. It contains not only information about the color and appearance of the future facade, but also basic recommendations, dangerous nodes, and other “nuances” of the object. In addition, it is worth relying on existing building codes for control.
Who knows all these norms? Of course, technical supervision!
Technical supervision is a person or organization that specializes in construction and helps customers control the situation at the facility. He:
- Checks the purchased materials for compliance with the passport;
- Monitors the quality of work.
This helps him coordinate the actions of the contractor, keep the Customer informed and guarantee a high-quality work result.
Who accepts the finished facade?
After a thorough check, satisfactory reviews of technical supervision, you can proceed to the final stage of work – the delivery of the object to the customer.
The work is usually accepted by a commission consisting of:
- Customer of works (owner, owner, Management Company).
- Tenant (office building).
- Community of the house (residential apartment building).
- Technical supervision.
The results of acceptance will be reflected in the appropriate act of readiness of the facility and signed by the members of the commission.
An overhaul is a complex process. The list of stages of work is approximate and depends on many factors, such as the degree of destruction of the facade, as well as the installation of additional structures. Therefore, it is important to understand that it is better not to deal with it on your own but to transfer the matter to qualified professionals, such as the specialists of Reliance Group NYC.
The managers of our company will assess the level of deterioration of the building in advance and develop an appropriate renovation project, which will allow you to keep abreast of the work plan and their completion dates.