Concrete is a durable building material. Pores are characteristic of both the surface and inner layers of the building waterproofing material. Upon contact with any moisture, and even more so with water, the liquid enters through the pores into all layers of concrete. This leads to the destruction of the building material; the walls, roof, foundation and even the floor suffering. If the construction technology is violated, the pores turn into cracks. In this case, the corrosion process is speedy. Modern technologies solve this problem with the help of waterproofing.
Usually, waterproofing is carried out at the stage of construction company work. But they are carried out following standard standards without considering individual characteristics, such as shrinkage. Methods and means cannot be called innovative either. Therefore, in private construction, additional waterproofing must be done.
Why Waterproofing is Needed
Modern waterproofing not only prevents moisture from entering the building material but also effectively fights all factors that destroy concrete:
- Armature corrosion.
- Erosion of the surface layer.
- Influences of the hostile environment.
When the reinforcement corrodes, moisture oxidizes the metal parts. That is, the frame itself has a bearing capacity and withstanding loads. This leads to the destruction of the internal structure of the building monolith. First of all, the roof, walls, foundation suffer. In this case, cracks appear on the surface. The problem is considered very serious.
When moisture gets on the concrete surface, it washes out the mortar and cement. Concrete stone is being washed away. On its surface, pits washouts appear. Erosion of the surface layer with moisture leads to a general weakening.
Freezing occurs at low temperatures. Moisture in the pores of concrete turns into ice, destroying the foundation. The result is enormous surface chips. From year to year, the concrete structure weakens, holes appear in the basements waterproofing in construction, through which a thorough leakage occurs. Outwardly, it is straightforward to determine to freeze. Massively large cracks appear on it. It takes a lot of time and money to eliminate this shortcoming. Therefore, waterproofing is a necessary element when concrete freezes.
Adverse environmental factors are always individual. This may be the close occurrence of groundwater in the proximity of industrial, agricultural production. In this case, waste from life and production enters the groundwater, making it chemically active. Such water increases the porosity of concrete, making its structure weak. Therefore, destructive processes are faster.
The service life of a building and structure, and even engineering and technical communications: gas pipes, water supply, sewerage depend on destructive factors and operational maintenance. By minimizing the impact of the first, we significantly extend the life of the house and save on the second. In fact, for a private house, waterproofing is a necessary maintenance component.
There is no dampness in a house where waterproofing works, leading to the formation of fungi and mould. Pathogenic flora is a breeding ground for bacteria and specific diseases of the respiratory system and digestive tract. Roofing and finishing suffer greatly from dampness and high humidity. Destruction can occur in 1 to 3 years.
Engineering and technical communications of housing are also subject to all of the above destructive factors. Waterproofing can extend their service life.
In general, it gives severe savings over a long time of operation of the building and communications for a house.
Classification of Waterproofing According to the Method of Application
Modern tools offer several ways:
- Roll or bituminous. It is made from bitumen. Method of application – fusing on a concrete surface. Very comfortable flexible, but strong and rigid, synthetic frame. It effectively closes the pores and prevents water penetration into the inner and surface layers of the building material.
- Waterproofing with mastic. A particular substance is used only on a polymer basis. Usually, it is applied to the surface with thin strokes in several layers. Each layer provides separate protection against liquid and moisture penetration. Comprehensive protection in several layers generally excludes contact with the external environment.
- The use of specially designed waterproofing compounds. Their list is very diverse. There are polymer, cement, cement-bitumen products. The most modern options have additional useful properties. Experts select the right option. But they all have good adhesion, penetrating properties, fill the pores. In this case, concrete contact with the external environment is excluded.
Existing methods have various uses. A specialist will help you choose the right one.
For the foundation, the desired method uses water repellents. They are used where there is a large monolithic structure of building material. It has to do with the properties of matter. It creates a water-repellent layer on the surface and penetrates inside, sealing the pores.
Waterproofing the foundation is necessary because the lower layers always contact saturated soils. His sole is always wet. Protection, in this case, is carried out in a complex manner using water repellents and coating compositions: cement polymer.
If everything is evident with the external option, many people ask questions: Is waterproofing the interior required? In rooms with high humidity and water supply and drainage pipes, moisture protection solves the following problems:
- Destroys dampness, mould, fungus, which preserves the interior finish, creates a healthy microflora.
- Increases fire safety as moisture is isolated from the electrical network.
- Damage in the event of an accident and flooding of neighbours is minimal.
- Walls are also destroyed under the constant influence of liquid and moisture.
For interior rooms, sparing methods are used so that it is possible to carry out interior decoration. Create multi-layer protection using self-levelling compounds.
Moisture is the main factor that destroys the roof of the house. Simply unfavourable microflora with high humidity is enough. Even the floor beams are rotting. Living in such a structure is dangerous if you do not take action.
The complexity of roof waterproofing lies in the fact that, as a rule, it is performed at the stage of roofing. The quality of subsequent work depends more on the correct calculation and installation than on choosing the desired method and waterproofing materials. Different methods depend on the state of the object. If the roof is new and in good condition, you can use specially designed mixtures. When neglected and dilapidated, the right way is equivalent to repairing the building.
But in any case, modern means solve waterproofing issues for a cottage, a wooden house, private houses with an increased number of storeys, and summer cottages.
When is Waterproofing Required?
Waterproofing is required if:
- The house is located on the territory of a close occurrence of groundwater.
- The territory of homeownership is constantly flooded.
- For wooden houses, waterproofing contractors in NYC is required.
- Constantly floods basements.
- The roof fell into disrepair very quickly.
- There is significant freezing in winter.
- If there are cracks, chips, pits on the walls, the foundation, the roof are flowing, appropriate work is required.
When You Can Do Without Waterproofing
If climatic conditions and the absence of negative factors allow, work is unnecessary. This rarely happens in our climate. Can distinguish the following cases:
- Carried out all the necessary work during construction with modern polymer-based materials using water repellents.
- Groundwater in arid regions lies well below the foundation.
- During construction, concrete was used with the addition of appropriate additives.
- The use of piled deep foundations.
In these cases, waterproofing is not required. But must approach each case individually. It takes professional expertise to give specific advice.
Waterproofing is a necessary stage in the construction and finishing works of a private house, which will protect against the penetration of moisture and water into the internal structure of the supporting structures. This destructive factor affects walls, foundations, roofs, and floors. Can perform required work at any time. Modern methods and means make it possible to cope with the most complex destruction of a monolith: cement stone, concrete, regardless of the object’s state. A wide range of methods and means allows you to use waterproofing for a cottage, a house with some storeys, brick or wooden building, a summer house or an apartment. There are options for interiors.